Re:Re: route trouble with kernel

From: Benbenshi
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 20:37:16 EST

Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

>>Your system should have a way of doing this in a callout during the ifup
>>and ifdown scripts. Under Fedora, ifup calls ifup-post, which calls
>>/sbin/ifup-local - you could add your routes there.

nerver used Fedora before. On my Debian sarge, ifup will call
/etc/network/interfaces,
which looks like follow:
################################
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.10.200
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.10.255
network 192.168.10.0
gateway 192.168.10.1
###############################
with this script,ifup know how to add default gateway to the route
table. Is that your mean ?

>>More importantly, routes are different from iptables. At worst, an iptable
>>rule has a dangling '-i ethX' match that will fail if the interface is down,
>>but that's a harmless because the packet isn't from that interface.
>>
>>On the other hand, what is the kernel supposed to do with a route that
>>points to a down'ed ethX after you've done the ifdown, but before you've
>>done the ifup? It may as well clear routes to the down'ed interface....

If ethX was down, can kernel just drop the packages to ethX ? Is there
anything wrong with kernel to work like this ?

Thanks for your great reply.