Re: Mercurial vs Updated git HOWTO for kernel hackers

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 22:55:28 EST

On Jun 28, 2005, at 20:25:02, Sean wrote:
there will be a price to pay if the linux community fragments over choice
of scm.

I don't agree. With the current set of SCMs, I don't think it will be long
before somebody invents a gitweb/Mercurial/whatever gateway, such that I can
"hg serve" from my Mercurial repository and have Linus "git pull" from a
multiprotocol bridge.

the good news is that we're no longer locked into the whims of
some proprietary system. so it should be straight forward for those who
choose any tool to work with those who've chosen another. this is already
evidenced by the fact that the git repository is pulled and re- exeported
with mecurial.

I agree completely! Cheers to the end of proprietary revision storage!

anyway, all the best, just wish you guys would spend less time trying to
convert git users and more time advancing your own tool.

A project with no users isn't much of a project, now is it? In any case,
this thread has long since passed its usefulness, so let's let it die, ok?

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
I lost interest in "blade servers" when I found they didn't throw knives at people who weren't supposed to be in your machine room.
-- Anthony de Boer