Re: Newbie Roadmap?

From: Howard Owen
Date: Wed Jun 29 2005 - 23:41:46 EST

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 23:27 +0200, Jesper Juhl wrote:

> > What I've done so far: I've picked up and started reading "Linux Device
> > Drivers" both editions 2 and 3. I'm about half way through Love's "Linux
> > Kernel Development"
>
> Good choice of books.

Thanks for that feedback. They seemed like good choices, but I couldn't
be sure.

> [...]
> > I'm starting
> > out running Slack 10.1, so I'll probably tackle the 2.4 driver first.
> >
> Slackware runs just fine with a 2.6 kernel. I've been running 2.5.x
> and 2.6.x kernels on Slack for ages and I'm currently running
> 2.6.13-rc1 with Slackware-current.

I had planned to switch to the 2.6.x kernel after doing the 2.4 work.
Something tells me there will be a lot of documentation about porting a
driver from 2.4 to 2.6, and somewhat less in the other direction. 8)

> And this I find to be a good website for new kernel hackers :
> http://kernelnewbies.org/

Thanks for that pointer. Although for someone pushing 50, the picture of
the nursing penguin is a little incongruous. 8)

--
Howard Owen hbo@xxxxxxxxx "Even if you are on the right
EGBOK Consultants Linux Architect track, you'll get run over if you