Re: share/private/slave a subtree - define vs enum

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Fri Jul 08 2005 - 15:03:49 EST

Hi,

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Pekka Enberg wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 21:11 +0200, Roman Zippel wrote:
> > So it basically comes down to personal preference, if the original uses
> > defines and it works fine, I don't really see a good enough reason to
> > change it to enums, so please leave the decision to author.
>
> (And I don't see a good enough reason to use #defines when you don't
> absolutely have to. This is what we disagree on.)

"use" != "change".
If an author already uses defines, that's fine and in most cases there is
no reason to change it.

> Roman, it is not as if I get to decide for the patch submitters. I
> comment on any issues _I_ have with the patch and the authors fix
> whatever they want (or what the maintainers ask for).

The point of a review is to comment on things that _need_ fixing. Less
experienced hackers take this a requirement for their drivers to be
included.

> P.S. Working code is not enough for the kernel. It must be maintainable
> as well.

defines are perfectly maintainable.

bye, Roman