Re: OOPS: frequent crashes with bttv in 2.6.X series (inc. 2.6.12)

From: Bodo Eggert
Date: Sat Jul 09 2005 - 02:35:32 EST

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> It looks to be an old reported trouble with bttv cards.
>
> There is a doc at kernel that treats this subject. It is at:
> Documentation/video4linux/bttv/README.freeze
>

> Overlay works by transfering data from BTTV card directelly to Video Card.
>
> This looks to be problem related to DMA troubles on some motherboards.

I've found the no_overlay parameter to be promising, but it seems to be
unused by the driver:

$ grep -r no_overlay drivers/*
drivers/media/video/bttv-cards.c:static unsigned int no_overlay=-1;
drivers/media/video/bttv-cards.c:module_param(no_overlay, int, 0444);
drivers/media/video/bttv-cards.c: if (UNSET == no_overlay) {
drivers/media/video/bttv-cards.c: no_overlay = 1;
$

It seems some patch has removed that feature, and I have no grepable pile
of patches here nor an idea (except for google) where I can get one.
--
Top 100 things you don't want the sysadmin to say:
80. I cleaned up the root partition and now there's LOTS of free space.