Re: [ANNOUNCE] DSFS Network Forensic File System for Linux Patches

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 02:46:19 EST

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 06:56:28PM -0600, jmerkey wrote:

> Bernd,
>
> Thanks for the accurate and reasonable response. I object to the use
> of the word "tainted". This implies the binary code is somehow
> infringing. I would suggest changing the word to "non-GPL" or "Vendor
> Supported" since this is more accurate. Just a suggestion.
>
> Thanks Jeff

I believe the use of the word is quite correct. Taint is synonymous to
contaminate. When you add a closed-source driver, the kernel is no
longer pure GPL, it's been contaminated by a non-GPL part.

There may be other connotations to the word in various regions in the
english speaking world that give it much darker meanings, though, that I
don't know about.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR