Re: multiple independent keyboard kernel support

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 08:24:46 EST

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 03:07:20PM +0200, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:

> >>(When) Will there ever be native kernel (and maybe XFree) support for
> >>multiple independent keyboards?
> >
> >The kernel console is unlikely to ever going to have that - noone is
> >interested in changing the console subsystem.
> >

> Ah, rats! :-(

You can give a try, if you're not afraid opening that can of worms.

jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx

> >implementation keeping it from proceeding.
> >
> >The problems with multiple VGA cards, etc, are much harder to solve,
> >though.

> That's a surprise - barring the keyboard issue, I thought I was close to
> getting it working on my SuSE 9.3 using 2 mice, onboard 915G graphics
> and an old TSENG Labs ET6000.
> Maybe I had further to go than I realised :-(

Some combinations work. Making it work for all is what's hard.

Btw, Aivils Stoss created a nice way to make several X instances have
separate keyboards - see the linux-console archives for the faketty
driver.

> >Many people would like that. But not many enough to make it happen, at
> >least not until now.

> Ah cool - there's hope - any pointers on how I can get a counter or
> lobby group going? :-)

Just start coding. ;) That helps most.

--
Vojtech Pavlik