Re: 2.6.13-mm1

From: Dominik Karall
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 11:24:41 EST

On Thursday 01 September 2005 18:09, John Stoffel wrote:

> Dominik> When I switch on my external harddisk, which is connected
> Dominik> through usb, the kernel hangs. First time I did that at
> Dominik> bootup there were a lot of backtraces printed on the screen
> Dominik> but they did not find the way in the logfile :/ Now I
> Dominik> switched the drive on while running and everything freezes
> Dominik> after those messages:
>
> Dominik> usb 1-2.2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
> Dominik> scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
> Dominik> usb-storage: device found at 3
> Dominik> usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
> Dominik> Vendor: ST325082 Model: 3A Rev: 3.02
> Dominik> Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision:
> 00 Dominik> SCSI device sda: 488397168 512-byte hdwr sectors (250059 MB)
> Dominik> sda: assuming drive cache: write through
> Dominik> SCSI device sda: 488397168 512-byte hdwr sectors (250059 MB)
> Dominik> sda: assuming drive cache: write through
>
> Have you updated the firmware on the USB enclosure? I have one using
> the Prolific chipset for both USB/Firewire and it was crappy until I
> upgraded the firmware on there. It made all the difference.
>
> Also, can you use this USB enclosure on Windows or another computer?
> And which kernel version are you running? It's not clear if your on
> 2.6.13-mm1 or some other version.

2.6.13-mm1, as mentioned in subject.
The external hdd worked with 2.6.13-rc6-mm1 and 2.6.13-ck1, which were the
last versions I ran. Didn't test 2.6.13-rc6-mm2.

> More details would be good too, such as:
>
> lsusb

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0840:009c Argosy Research, Inc.
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x0840 Argosy Research, Inc.
idProduct 0x009c
bcdDevice 0.01
iManufacturer 1 Generic
iProduct 2 USB 2.0 Mass Storage Device
iSerial 3 009C0000000049BD
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 32
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0xc0
Self Powered
MaxPower 100mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 8 Mass Storage
bInterfaceSubClass 6 SCSI
bInterfaceProtocol 80 Bulk (Zip)
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x01 EP 1 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x82 EP 2 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
bLength 10
bDescriptorType 6
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
bNumConfigurations 1