SysFS, module names and .name

From: iSteve
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 15:29:33 EST

Greetings,
in sysfs, /sys/bus/*/drivers lists the driver names, with their exported .name (eg. '.name = "EMU10K1_Audigy"' in the module code, from now on 'driver name'). In /sys/modules, the kernel modules are listed with their module name, eg. snd_emu10k1. However, it seems to me that in sysfs, there is no way in particular to tell, which module has which .name. That is, that snd_emu10k1 is EMU10K1_Audigy and vice versa.

I wonder whether it wouldn't be possible to add a symlink to the particular module from the driver, and/or from the module to the driver, so the list of devices handled by the module and the module name would be accessible. This way, I would know which driver name corresponds to which module name and vice versa.

Or am I just boldly missing something, and there is a way how to do this from userspace, preferably without reading /proc/kcore?

Thanks in advance for reply.

- iSteve