Re: IDE HPA

From: Peter Jones
Date: Fri Sep 02 2005 - 13:10:05 EST

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 19:44 +0200, Molle Bestefich wrote:

> Related matters:
> If you decide to include the HPA in one of your filesystems, is there
> not a big risk that the BIOS will overwrite something there?

Isn't the bigger risk that if you include the HPA in your block device,
you'll overwrite your BIOS there?

At least that's what happens on some thinkpads.

It'd be nice if we left it as the BIOS leaves it by default, but make a
straightforward way to enable/disable/alter the HPA region from
software.

(if there's already a straightforward way, feel free to clue me in --
but the default should almost certainly be to assume the HPA is set up
correctly, shouldn't it?)
--
Peter