Re: Hotswap support for libata

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Sep 03 2005 - 01:39:02 EST

Lukasz Kosewski wrote:
On a happier note, once the infrastructure is accepted, anyone with a
hotswap-unsupported controller and some time on their hands will
easily be able to integrate hotswap in; that is the whole goal of an
infrastructure. So if your controller isn't supported, but you know
something about it (or better yet, you yourself have docs), adding
hotswap support to it should be too hard.

Once the infrastructure is there, I'll probably add support for several controllers myself. Many controllers don't have an explicit hotplug interrupt, but rather we must examine the PhyRdy bit in the standard SError register for details. If the bit's state changes in any way (including two or more state changes), we (a) check for device presence, and (b) if device is present, initialize it (SET FEATURES - XFER MODE, etc.).

Jeff