Re: 2.6.13-mm1: hangs during boot ...

From: Peter Williams
Date: Sat Sep 03 2005 - 02:19:26 EST

Peter Williams wrote:
Brown, Len wrote:

[ 279.662960] [<c02d5c74>] wait_for_completion+0xa4/0x110

possibly a missing interrupt?

CONFIG_ACPI=y

any difference if booted with "acpi=off" or "acpi=noirq"?

Yes. In both cases, the system appears to boot normally but I'm unable to login or connect via ssh. Also there's a "device not ready" message after the scsi initialization which I don't normally see. I've attached the scsi initialization output. The PF_NETLINK error messages after the login prompt in this output are created whenever I try to log in or connect via ssh.

Please confirm that vanilla 2.6.13 has none of these symptoms.

That's correct. 2.6.13 exhibits none of these symptoms.

Please apply just the ACPI part of the 2.6.13-mm1 patch to see if
these issues are caused by that or if they are caused by something
else in the mm patch.

http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.13/2.6.13-mm1/broken-out/git-acpi.patch

OK. I'll get back to you shortly.

I am able to confirm that the problem occurs with vanilla 2.5.13 after I apply the above patch.

Peter
--
Peter Williams pwil3058@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-- Ambrose Bierce