Re: [discuss] Re: [Patch] x86, x86_64: Intel HT, Multi core detection code cleanup

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sat Oct 08 2005 - 05:29:26 EST

On Saturday 08 October 2005 02:52, Siddha, Suresh B wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 11:52:00AM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > > I can fix the API mess. Is there anything else you want me to do?
> >
> > I think you overdid the sharing. Can you limit it to one file
> > and copy the stuff that doesn't fit easily?
>
> Andi, This stuff is very much common to x86 and x86_64. Shared code is
> split into two files because setting up sibling map code is generic and
> HT/core detection code is very specific to Intel.
>
> How about the appended patch?

I would prefer if the Intel CPU detection support wasn't distributed over so
many small files. If you prefer to share it put it all into a single file and
share that. But please only for code that can be cleanly shared without
ifdefs.

Also in general it would be better if you first did the cleanup and then
as separate patches the various functionality enhancements.That makes
the changes easier to be reviewed and it helps in binary search when something
goes wrong.

-Andi