Re: what's next for the linux kernel?

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Sat Oct 08 2005 - 17:25:48 EST

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 10:20:01PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 04:13:15PM -0400, Michael Concannon wrote:
>
> > 1. It _is_ a file: registry.dat
> > 2. It is a binary file at that...
> > 3. That file has become a dumping ground for everything that every app
> > thinks is "important" and of course every app writer thinks everything
> > they write is the most important thing ever - I am sure a have never
> > done such a thing :-)
>
> s/"that file"/"openldap" and substitute "every app writer"
> for "every major free software developer we respect greatly which
> can store its data and/or configuration details in an LDAP database"
> and your evident distaste for "that file" looks a little like religious
> zealotry.

Well, there are many differences between the windows registry and
openldap on unix. First, openldap is voluntary. There are plenty
of linux systems not using ldap at all, and still using whatever apps
they want. People deploy ldap when they think the benefits outweighs
the added complexity. :-)

Helge Hafting