Re: Need for SHIFT and MASK

From: Vivek Kutal
Date: Sun Oct 09 2005 - 13:46:46 EST

Hi Ingo,

> This is usally table driven and someone has to set up
> this "Page Translation Tables". That's a job of the Linux kernel.

Yes setting up the page table entries is the job of the kernel , but
for that we need to put the physical add. of the page and some bits
(present,access writes etc) in the entry, once it is done the main job
of translation which requires the masking and shifting is done by the
processor whenever that page is referenced .
so why these macros are present in the kernel?

--
Thanks and Regards
Vivek Kutal

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."