Re: [swsusp] separate snapshot functionality to separate file

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Sun Oct 09 2005 - 18:48:55 EST

Hi Pavel.

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 18:20, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > >It works, it's fast, it's stable, and it does what users want.
> > >That's a strong combination. It would be really good if you could
> > >work together to merge it.
>
> > I've read this thread...
> > And I want to join this request...
> >
> > It might be that suspend2 is not the best solution, but
> > maybe if you merge it and then work together in order to
> > maximize the use of user space at next version, it will be
>
> Merge 10000 lines of code, only to drop them in next version?

You're assuming your code would get merged.

More than that, though, let me be bold enough to say that your version
has quite a lot of development to do in order to begin to approach the
level of Suspend2. If and when it achieves that, I'll happily stop
maintaining Suspend2 - after all, I've always said I'm just a user who
wants to suspend. In the meantime, though, I'm happy to carry that can
while you're developing your userspace implementation. That way, users
can have the best of both worlds - a stable, reliable, fast and mature
implementation in kernel space while you're getting userspace working,
and then whatever advantages you bring once your version becomes an
improved version of Suspend2.

Regards,

Nigel