Re: Why no XML in the Kernel?

From: Horst von Brand
Date: Sun Oct 09 2005 - 23:29:39 EST

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

> it's a friggin sight better than contemplating XML, but it also comes
> with a price tag: in this case, nearly 70,000 lines of library code
> that "encapsulates" and "extracts" the data structures for you, at
> runtime [yes, you can supply your own malloc and free routines]

70 KSLOC is a /lot/, the benefit of having that in kernel would have to be
very large to justify it. And in the frame of an operating system that
believes in flat ("just stream of bytes") interfaces throughout and
hopefully very simple tools on top ("cat", "more", "grep") that are
combined by the user to do complex stuff I just don't see it.