Re: Direct Rendering drivers for ATI X300 ?

From: Lars Roland
Date: Mon Oct 10 2005 - 14:01:01 EST

On 10/10/05, Gerhard Mack <gmack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone tell me if there are working open source DRM drivers that work
> on recent 2.6.x kernels for the ATI X300? I've tried dri.sourceforge.net
> and r300 but neither seems to even bother compiling. I've spent several
> hours on google without luck.
>
> Gerhard

What are your dmesg reporting, when loading the modules, if you see
something along these lines:

-------------------
[drm] Initialized drm 1.0.0 20040925
PCI: Unable to reserve mem region #1:8000000@c0000000 for device 0000:01:00.0
[drm] Initialized radeon 1.19.0 20050911 on minor 0:
[drm] Used old pci detect: framebuffer loaded
mtrr: 0xc0000000,0x8000000 overlaps existing 0xc0000000,0x4000000
[drm:radeon_do_init_cp] *ERROR* Cannot use PCI Express without GART in
FB memory

then you may have hit a possible x300/pci express issue - other than
that I have it working perfectly here with kernel 2.6.14rc1, Quake3 is
playable (although I am experiencing some minor problems with MergedFB
combined with 3D gaming). I have written a small guide for Gentoo that
explains how to get DRI/DRM working with R300 (and newer cards) all
though you may not use Gentoo it should be very easy to get it working
on other distributions:

The guide is here:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-374745-highlight-r300.html