Re: Machine dies under heavy I/O or network-access ..?

From: Christiaan den Besten
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 05:55:39 EST

Hi !

Our situation has cleared up a little bit. Our Areca Raid-controller had troubles with Maxtor SATA disks and died eventually. They fixed this in a new firmware release (at least, we are testing that right now ...).

I have been playing with sysctl.conf as well:

---
# 5s will give us between 200 and 260Mb dirty buffer ...
vm.dirty_background_ratio = 5
vm.dirty_ratio = 75
---

By keeping the dirty buffer somewhat lower (250M) it seems to be preventing the system from using too much memory. If I recall correct I have seen 'some' assertions, but never fatal anymore.

bye,
Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pauli Borodulin" <pauli.borodulin@xxxxxx>