Re: [patch 0/8] Nesting class_device patches that actually work

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 16:35:46 EST

On 10/13/05, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The nesting classes implement a fraction of a device hierarchy in
> /sys/class. It moves arbitrary relation information into the class
> directory, where nothing else than device classification belongs.
> What is the rationale behind sticking device trees into class?
>
> Instead of that, I propose a unification of "/sys/devices-devices"
> and "class-devices". The differentiation of both does not make sense
> in a wold where we can't really tell if a device is hardware or virtual.
>
> We should model _all_ devices with its actual realationship in
> /sys/devices and /sys/class should only be a pinter to the actual
> devices in that place. Device like "mice", which have no parent, would
> sit at the top level of /sys/devices. All devices in /sys/class are
> only symlinks and never devices by itself.
> That way userspace can read all device relation at _one_ place in a sane
> way, and we keep the clean class interface to have easy access to all
> devices of a specific group.
> It gives us the right abstraction and is future proof, cause
> the class interface will not change when the relation between devices
> changes. The destinction between classes and buses would no longer be
> needed, and as we see in the "input" case never made sense anyway.
>
> /sys/class/block would look exactly like /sys/block today. The only
> difference is that there are symlinks to follow instead of class devices
> on its own. With every device creation we will get the whole dependency
> path of the device in the DEVPATH and a "classsification symlink" in
> /sys/class. The input devices are all clearly modeled in its hierarchy,
> in /sys/devices but we also get clean class interfaces:

Hi,

Kay eased my task by enumerating all issues I have with Greg's
approach. Not all the world is udev and not all class devices have
"/dev" represetation so haveing one program being able to understand
new sysfs hierarchy is not enough IHMO.

However I do not think that "moving" class devices into /sys/devices
hierarchy is the right solution either because one physical device
could easily end up belonging to several classes. I recenty got an
e-mail from Adam Belay (whom I am pulling into the discussion)
regarding his desire to rearrange net/wireless representation. I think
it would be quite natural to have /sys/class/net/interfaces and
/sys/class/net/wireless /sys/class/net/irda, and /sys/class/net/wired
subclasses where "interfaces" would enumerate _all_ network interfaces
in the system, and the rest would show only devices of their class.

--
Dmitry