Re: Forcing an immediate reboot

From: Anton Altaparmakov
Date: Sat Oct 15 2005 - 03:17:24 EST

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Coywolf Qi Hunt wrote:
> On 10/15/05, Anton Altaparmakov <aia21@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > If it has Oopsed, and the "reboot" command does not work, then all bets
> > > are off - kernel memory has probably been corrupted.
> > >
> > > Get one of those powerstrips that you can telnet into and power cycle
> > > things remotely.
> >
> > If it has sysrq compiled in as root just do:
> >
> > echo s > /proc/sysrq-trigger
> > echo u > /proc/sysre-trigger
> > echo s > /proc/sysrq-trigger
>
> What the purpose of the second sync?

Allows any i/o initiated between the first sync and the remount r/o to
complete. Remember that r/o mounting doesn't stop i/o. It only stops you
from writing to the fs at the vfs layer. Once a write/modification has
entered the fs driver it will get written no matter what, unless the
"reboot" sysrq is triggered in which case the kernel just reboots
immediately.

Maybe it is just paranoia on my part but I have gotten used to hitting
Alt+PrtScr+S, +U, +S, +B so I do it automatically.

Best regards,

Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/