Re: interruptible_sleep_on, interrupts and device drivers

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sat Oct 15 2005 - 05:06:08 EST

On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 12:00 +0200, Gabriele Brugnoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm writing a device driver for a UART to be used to drive a RS485 line.
> I would use the interruptible_sleep_on function to wait for receiver ready,
> or for the transmitter to finish.

don't.

interruptible_sleep_on() is a broken interface (see the comments in the
header) and should not be used in any new code (where "new" is "since
the year 2000" :)

Just use the wait_event() interfaces .... or just a simple semaphore
even if what you want to do is simple and performance isn't too
critical.