Re: Some problems with 2.6.13.4

From: Nico Schottelius
Date: Sat Oct 15 2005 - 15:39:22 EST

Jesper Juhl [Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 10:22:22PM +0200]:
> On 10/15/05, Nico Schottelius <nico-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [snip]
> > Could we somehow debug this differently or do I have to install
> > 2.6.13.2 and 2.6.13.1, too? It would take simply hours until it is
> > finished here.
> >

> If you have another, faster, machine available you could build the
> kernel(s) on that one.

Actually, one of my fastest machines is this one:

bruehe2# cat /proc/cpuinfo
[...]
model name : Pentium III (Katmai)
cpu MHz : 551.280
[...]

And one, which has a not-so-good connection to me.

> You don't have to build a kernel on the same
> machine that is later supposed to run it.

That's clear :-)

> Also, if you have more than one machine (even if they are not
> especially fast) then you can use distcc (http://distcc.samba.org/) to
> distribute the build over multiple machines which can speed up a build
> a great deal.

distcc will fail here, because of different gccs and different distributions
(ever tried to use gentoo and distcc in the same distcc-network? It's a real
pain).

Thanks for the hints anyway,

Nico

--
Latest project: cconfig (http://nico.schotteli.us/papers/linux/cconfig/)
Open Source nutures open minds and free, creative developers.