Re: hdparm almost burned my SATA disk

From: Michal Piotrowski
Date: Sat Oct 15 2005 - 19:11:17 EST

Hi,

On 15/10/05, J.A. Magallon <jamagallon@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 01:01:53 +0200, "J.A. Magallon" <jamagallon@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi all...
> >
> > I have seen a very strange thing.
> > I was trying hdparm -tT on a SATA disk, it did the buffered part OK,
> > and hanged my box in the non-buffered measure. After waiting some minutes,
> > I did a SysRQ-s-u-b, and the the disk began to give many read errors on
> > sectors and could not boot because journal was not present and many other
> > errors.
> >
> > After some warm and cold boots, finally the box came up correctly.
> > I suspect that something that hdparm did left my disk dumb. But what ?
> > I will keep away from hdparm for some time...
> >
> > Any idea ?
> >

> Oops I forgot.
> Kernel is 2.6.14-rc2-mm2.
> hdparm is v6.1
> Filesystem is ext3 on a
>
> werewolf:~/soft/kernel/patches/2.6.13-jam8# hdparm -I /dev/sda
>
> /dev/sda:
>
> ATA device, with non-removable media
> Model Number: Maxtor 6L160M0
> Serial Number: L40MRV4G
> Firmware Revision: BANC1G10

debian:/home/michal# hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads: 3652 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1823.54 MB/sec
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate
ioctl for device
Timing buffered disk reads: 174 MB in 3.01 seconds = 57.72 MB/sec
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate
ioctl for device
debian:/home/michal# hdparm -V
hdparm v6.1
debian:/home/michal# hdparm -I /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

debian:/home/michal# uname -r
2.6.14-rc4-g7a3ca7d2

CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
# CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_AHCI is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SVW is not set
CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX=y

I have noticed the same behavior on 2.6.12.

Regards,
Michal Piotrowski