Re: 2.6.15-rc1 - NForce4 PCI-E agpgart support?

From: Mark Knecht
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 10:09:24 EST

On 11/16/05, Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 06:50 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I downloaded and built 2.6.15-rc1 as a test assuming Ingo will
> > release -rt support for this one of these days. (No rush Ingo!) It
> > booted on my AMD64 machine and is running fine AFAICT.
> >
> > One thing I was expecting to see was agpgart support for the
> > NForce4 chipset. Is this something that's coming or am I missing where
> > the configuration is done?
> >
> > I have a PCI-Express based Radeon and would like to get better
> > performance. I'm presuming that agpgart support is part of that
> > solution? (As it was on earlier architectures?)
>
> I'm pretty sure PCI-Express and AGP are mutually exclusive....

Ah, of course! My bad... They are different buses and connectors. I
was really thinking more of the 'gart' part of the agpgart.

Is there any requirement/need/value for something like a PCI-E-gart?
Or does this relocation requirement go out the window somehow when a
graphics device moves to PCI-Express?

Thanks,
Mark