Re: Laptop mode causing writes to wrong sectors?

From: Bart Samwel
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 09:34:38 EST

Bradley, Jan,

Bradley Chapman wrote:
I too have been experiencing some problems with laptop-mode that may
be similar to what was recently reported here.

I have a Centrino machine (Sager NP3760, aka Clevo M375E) with a 60GB
Hitachi TravelStar hard disk running in UDMA5 and 512MB RAM, and on
occassions I've had random files on my /usr partition overwritten and
both my /usr and /var filesystems quite thoroughly trashed - with
these events usually occuring right after I'd been on battery power
and my hard disk had been spinning up and down regularly.

All my filesystems are ext3 with journaling active, and none of them
have been messed with (i.e. resized).

OK, that's the second report then. I'm beginning to worry. :/

Are you seeing any DMA timeout messages in your kernel log?

Also, both reports are on ext3, which might point to an ext3 problem with long commit intervals.

Bradley, Jan, since when have these problems been happening? Kernel version-wise, I mean?

--Bart