Re: Compaq Presario "reboot" problems

From: Nick Warne
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 10:14:47 EST

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Denis Vlasenko wrote:

> On Thursday 17 November 2005 20:51, linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
>>
>> With Linux-2.4.26 I reported that if a Compaq gets rebooted while
>> running Linux-2.4.26, it will not be able to restart Windows 2000.
>> It cam restart Linux fine. Today, I tried the same thing with
>> Linux-2.6.13.4. It fails, too.

I am following this thread and this thought just occurred to me.

A few years back I installed Linux on a Compaq box and used fdisk etc. as you
do. It turned out I wiped the BIOS settings, and further investigation at
the time revealed that they use a hidden partition on the drive for the BIOS
stuff. I told fdisk to wipe all.

After this, the machine worked ok, just that I had no BIOS options at all - it
beeped a bit at me at boot, but came up OK and worked for a few years until I
binned it.

Just a thought on what is going on here.

Nick
--
http://sourceforge.net/projects/quake2plus/

"Person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt person doing it."
-Chinese Proverb