Re: [linux-pm] [RFC] userland swsusp

From: Alan Cox
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 14:04:50 EST

On Maw, 2005-11-15 at 17:25 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> Just for info: If this goes in, Red Hat/Fedora kernels will fork
> swsusp development, as this method just will not work there.
> (We have a restricted /dev/mem that prevents writes to arbitary
> memory regions, as part of a patchset to prevent rootkits)

Perhaps it is trying to tell you that you should be using SELinux rules
not kernel hacks for this purpose ?

> Even it were not for this, the whole idea seems misconcieved to me
> anyway.

I'm sceptical too but several Win9x BIOS vendor suspend paths were
implemented in roughly this way. I don't however see how you can
co-ordinate the freeze with outstanding O_DIRECT DMA to user pages for
one item.