Re: Swap Bug Massive EXT3 Corruption on FC4 with 2.6.14 update

From: jmerkey
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 15:30:50 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

On Iau, 2005-11-17 at 11:05 -0700, jmerkey wrote:

To reproduce, install FC2 on an /dev/hda device with defaults, then install FC4 on a /dev/hdb device, build the 2.6.14 update for
FC4 and watch your data disappear.

Should be reported in the FC bugzilla although I've not been able to
reproduce it.

Alan,

I'll report over there. I reproduced it with an install of Suse 10.0 and FC4 and got to the bottom of it. During install of FC4, anaconda allocates
the swap partitions assigned to Suse 10.0 on /dev/hda (or any swap partitions on the primary drive) for use during the install. After the install
completes, FC4 uses this LABEL-SWAP-hda2 (etc.) method for determining which partitions to use for swap. What happened here it turned
out was not related to swap extents, but misidentifcation of which partition was assigned this LABEL-XXX tag. Upon first boot of FC4,
it allocated /dev/hda6 (the / partitition) as swap and started swapping to the / partition for Suse 10.0. I first saw it when I installed FC4 on a system
with FC2. After FC2 / partition got trashed, I reinstalled with Suse 10.0 (since I am porting DSFS to all of these distributions) and then reinstalled
FC4 on /dev/hdb -- same thing happened again.

I just finished reinstalling Suse 10.0 and tried with FC2 on /dev/hdb. FC2 does the same thing and gets mixed on on Swap on the /dev/hda device, but this time, it did not corrupt the Suse 10.0 on /dev/hda. This appears to be a bug in anaconda and the setup for the FCX distributions. ES and AS probably do the same thing since they use anaconda, so I would have someone look into this.

Jeff