Re: Laptop mode causing writes to wrong sectors?

From: Jan Niehusmann
Date: Sat Nov 19 2005 - 18:46:17 EST

On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 12:29:01AM +0100, Bart Samwel wrote:
> Remaining issue: this bug is only triggered when the ipw2200 driver does
> firmware restarts, which generates kernel output "ipw2200: Firmware
> error detected. Restarting". Jan, Bradley, do you see any of these
> messages in your logs near the time of corruption? That should be within

The "Firmware error detected" message occurs regularly - fortunately, on
my system they cause no significant performance problem. If I understand
the code correctly, writes to the wrong memory location only happen at
the first firmware restart. (Unless certain debugging flags are set,
which isn't the case here.) So, basically, it happens exactly once after
each reboot, after a few minutes of network activity.

It's difficult to know the exact time when the filesystem corruption
happened, as it usually isn't noticed immediately.

Jan