[IDEA] Enable debugging in userspace?

From: Fabio Erculiani
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 14:54:09 EST

Today, one idea is floating around me and bugging my brain (read: headache).
If I could be a newbie, and if I have a problem with the latest and greatest
linux distro, I start googling and looking for a solution. The problem is
that someone write that I have to enable debugging mode in kernel
configuration, recompile everything and reboot. That's quite impossible for a
newbie, isn't it?
So, why don't add an option to enable/disable debugging mode in sysfs?

Like:

/* DEBUG MODE ON */
echo "1" > /sys/kernel/debugging/debug_mode
/* DEBUG MODE OFF */
echo "0" > /sys/kernel/debugging/debug_mode

I know that debugging code might (remove "might") increase the kernel size,
but men, we have >256MB of RAM and >1GB of hard drive space.

I'm not subscribed to the ML but I read that on lkml.org

BR,
--
Fabio Erculiani
www.lxnaydesign.net