Re: [2.6 patch] mark virt_to_bus/bus_to_virt as __deprecated oni386

From: David S. Miller
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 23:42:16 EST

From: Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 23:27:32 +0000

> Well, please don't do that. -Werror makes development very painful.

I've had all of arch/sparc64 in -Werror mode for more than a year,
and it's anything but painful. It's prevented me from introducing
numerous bugs inadvertantly.

People miss warnings or flat out ignore them, if the build fails they
will have to fix it up instead before sending in their changes.

Yes, for a spot like kernel/ it's more difficult since it's
compilation is influenced by so many configuration and platform
specific stuff, but that's just too bad. Getting it warning free is
still something we can and should do.

Saying it's too hard, so we shouldn't even try, is a self-fufilling
prophecy. I definitely want to add -Werror to net/ very very soon.