Re: what is our answer to ZFS?

From: Chris Adams
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 11:16:58 EST

Once upon a time, Jan Harkes <jaharkes@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
>The only thing that tends to break are userspace archiving tools like
>tar, which assume that 2 objects with the same 32-bit st_ino value are
>identical.

That assumption is probably made because that's what POSIX and Single
Unix Specification define: "The st_ino and st_dev fields taken together
uniquely identify the file within the system." Don't blame code that
follows standards for breaking.

>I think that by now several actually double check that theinode
>linkcount is larger than 1.

That is not a good check. I could have two separate files that have
multiple links; if st_ino is the same, how can tar make sense of it?
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>