Re: [RFC] Small PCI core patch

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 11:56:27 EST

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 06:40:20PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 06:14:56PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> >

> >>You exaggerate. Windows drivers work well enough in Windows (or so I
> >>presume). One just has to implement the environment these drivers
> >>expect, very carefully.
> >>

> >I exaggerate nothing -- we have real world experience with ndiswrapper
> >and similar software, which is exactly the same model you proposed, is
> >exactly the same model that has created all sorts of technical, legal,
> >and political problems.
> >

> I agree that the legal and political problems are real. I offered two
> solutions to the technical problems.

And given real world experience with "solutions" like this, they cause
more problems than they solve.

> However the situation with video drivers is already bad, and
> deteriorating. I had to hunt on the Internet to get my recent (FC4)
> distro to support my low-end embedded video (via). In the future it
> looks like even that won't work.

VIA is working with open source community. They are small enough
(comparatively) that they need every advantage. VIA is one of the
positive examples.

> >Dumb with a capital 'D'.
> >

> I hope you have a better solution.

Almost all of the solutions listed in this thread are better:
Chinese wall rev-eng, funding, ...

Jeff