Re: today's graphics (was Re: [RFC] Small PCI core patch)

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 13:41:50 EST

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 06:58:44PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Maw, 2005-11-22 at 09:26 -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > I've proposed to Intel, and would like to talk to ATI/NVIDIA, about
> > seeing what can be done to standardize the REALLY DUMB components, like
> > the DMA interface to transfer code and data.
>
> You put it in the processor eventually.

It will take forever for Intel and AMD to get their acts together :(

AMD did well by putting the memory controller on the CPU, but Intel didn't.

Intel added "IOA/T" (async DMA memory copies), but AMD doesn't have that.

And ATI/NVIDIA stuff will likely remain across the PCI-Express bus for
quite a while.

My preference is to have ATI/NVIDIA use the same PCI-Express interface,
and differentiate in the GPU.

Jeff