Re: Christmas list for the kernel

From: Russell King
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 04:09:06 EST

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 06:56:30PM -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 11/22/05, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Maw, 2005-11-22 at 16:41 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > > An example of this is that the serial driver is hard coded to report
> > > four legacy serial ports when my system physically only has two. I
> > > have to change a #define and recompile the kernel to change this.
> >
> > It does an autodetect sequence to find the ports. If it reports ttyS0-S3
> > your system probably has them, they may just not be wired to external
> > ports and that is kinda tricky to autodetect
>
> The ports really aren't there. If we had a driver for the LPC chip it
> would see that the chip only implemented two ports. On modern
> hardware a driver for LPC/super IO chips might be enough to do all of
> the needed legacy detection.

If the serial driver detects a port at a particular address, the
hardware or something which behaves very much like a serial port
is there.

However, as far as I recall, you've never reported this as a problem.
Care to put something in bugzilla or start a new thread? Starting
with the entire kernel messages with the DEBUG_AUTOCONF stuff enabled
in the 8250 driver would probably be good.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core