Re: What protection does sysfs_readdir have with SMP/Preemption?

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 07:35:29 EST

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> note that Steven has a dual-core Athlon64 X2 system. Steven, do you get
> the crash even with maxcpus=1?

Actually Ingo, this happened on my UP test machine, a 368MHz Pentium.

But unfortunately, it so far only happened once, and I've been trying to
recreate it, with no success. The test that crashed it was running 10
tasks that would read the entire filesystem. I was debugging another bug
(something specific to my kernel, or maybe -rt) when I hit this bug.
Looking at it, it seemed to not be related to the changes I made. Perhaps
it could be related to your changes?

-- Steve

PS. I only got my AMD64 x2 to debug your kernel ;-) I have no requirement
to have my kernel run on it. I just needed a faster machine, also to move
off my SMP box to make that a test box too. Since I saw lots of people
having problems with -rt and AMD64 I chose to get that one.