Over-riding symbols in the Kernel causes Kernel Panic

From: Ashutosh Naik
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 09:10:41 EST

Hi,

I made e1000 ( or for that matter anything) a part of the 2.6.15-rc1
kernel and booted the kernel. Next I compiled e1000 as a module (
e1000.ko ), and tried to insmod it into the kernel( which already had
e1000 a compiled as a part of the kernel). I observed that
/proc/kallsyms contained two copies of all the symbols exported by
e1000, and I also got a Kernel Panic on the way.

Is this behaviour natural and desirable ?

Regards and Thanks
-A