Re: Linux 2.6.15-rc2

From: Michael Krufky
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 15:32:45 EST

Gene Heskett wrote:

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 14:54, Michael Krufky wrote:

Gene Heskett wrote:

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 14:17, Michael Krufky wrote:

[...]

f it fixes Gene's problem (a quick glance at his emails suggests that
it does) then:

Read further Michael, it still takes a _cold_ reboot to 2.6.14.2 to
fix it.

I'm sorry -- I should have been clearer... It fixes the following error
message, correct?

Gene Heskett wrote:

WARNING:/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-
dvb .ko needs unknown symbol nxt200x_attach.

About the cold reboot needed for 2.6.14.2, well, that is completely
unrelated...

First, does the patch fix the unknown symbol error? If so, then the
patch is correct.

Yes, it fixes that just fine.

GREAT! ... So then Adrian's patch with my ACK should be applied, in addition to a similar patch for saa7134-dvb ... I'd like to try Sam's method on my machine... if it works, then I will send in a new patch on Friday.

Moving on........

Kirk Lapray wrote both OR51132 and NXT200X frontend modules (cc added)

First off, Gene, I am still under the impression that both v4l and dvb
subsystems are broken under 2.6.15 due to the memory bugs... I don't
know if Hugh Dickins fixed those yet or not.

Neither do I. But as a tv engineer with 50+ years of experience, the
general appearance is if the antenna cable has been disconnected and
held about 2" away from the f-59 connector when a hot reboot is done. The audio in both cases sounds like its a station 300 miles away when
the atmospherics are behaving themselves.

More than likely, I would assume that the issue has something to do with some code inside nxt200x.c that makes some additional devices visible on the i2c bus... This should only affect devices that use nxt200x module, but perhaps there is something going on that is causing interference on the i2c bus of your card? This is just a guess.... Results from your cvs test will show us some better information.

If you are successfully loading cx88-dvb WITHOUT nxt200x module (before the cold boot) then the above is not the case.

Meanwhile, I repeat, it is well-known that the media tree is broken in 2.6.15 ... I think we'll get better results after Hugh Dickin's sends in another patch. In the meantime, you can test the v4l + dvb code using the merge-trees build method on the cvs repositories. (see below)

Please try to build merged v4l+dvb cvs trees against your 2.6.14.2
kernel, and tell me if you are having the same problems. If you are
indeed having the same problem, then it confirms that something in the
nxt200x module is causing problems in the OR51132 module.

And how & where do I obtain that?

Link to wiki-howto on linuxtv.org provided below.

Kirk, are you able to use both modules together using both pcHDTV and
ATI HDTV Wonder PCI cx88 boards simultaneously without causing any
conflicts?

Once again, Gene, please follow the tree-merge instructions located at:

http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/How_to_build_from_CVS

I'll give this a shot and advise on the results.

Please let me know if the problem persists. If the problem is gone,
then nxt200x is a red herring.

Regards,

Michael Krufky

I'll keep my email open...