Re: rfc/rft: use r10 as current on x86-64

From: Benjamin LaHaise
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 17:57:02 EST

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 11:48:03PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> 34KB smaller is nice, but is not it also 30% slower? Plus some inline
> assembly *will* have %r10 hardcoded, no? I'd be afraid around crypto
> code, for example.

It's not slower in any of the tests I've run. The crypto code needs a
tweak (the next version I send out will have that fix), and I'm still
working on getting thread_info to be relative to current, which should
save a bit more code. The assembly I've looked at tends to be better
as gcc can access various fields by directly offseting current instead
of the inline asm load then store that is otherwise needed.

-ben
--
"Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once." -- John Wheeler
Don't Email: <dont@xxxxxxxxx>.