Re: [RFC] VM: I have a dream...

From: Lennart Sorensen
Date: Wed Feb 01 2006 - 13:23:43 EST

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 06:21:12PM +0000, Andrew Walrond wrote:
> I cannot disagree with the obvious trend to date, but rather than argue the
> many reasons why ram prices are artificially high right now, instead just
> grab a stick of ram in your left hand, and the heavy lump of precision
> engineered metal that is a hard drive in your right, and see if you can
> convince yourself that the one on the right will still be ahead of the curve
> in another 14 years.

A metal case with a small circuit board, and some magnetic splattered
(very precisly) on a disk doesn't seem like as much work as trying to
fit over 10^12 transistors onto dies fitting in the same space. Making
waffers for memory isn't free, and higher densities take work to
develop. I am not sure what the current density for ram if in terms of
bits per area. I am sure it is a lot less than what a harddisk managed
with magnetic material. I am amazed either one works.

> Maybe it will. Drop me a mail in 2020 and I'll shout you dinner if you're
> right ;)

We will see. :)

Len Sorensen