Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.

From: Pekka J Enberg
Date: Thu Feb 02 2006 - 08:24:39 EST

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Shouldn't the question be "Why are we making this more complicated by moving
> it to userspace?"

It's less code in kernel now and in the future, more flexible (we have
more options for compression and encryption in userspace), and less
invasive. Specific points that make Suspend2 less attractive: it's a lot
of code (500KB patch!), new compression code in kernel (LZF), dynamic page
flags, and the special userspace notification mechanism
(kernel/power/ui.c).

That being said, the biggest advantage for Suspend2 of course is that it's
ready and stable now.

Pekka