Re: GPL V3 and Linux - Dead Copyright Holders

From: Emilio JesÃs GallegoArias
Date: Thu Feb 02 2006 - 11:59:39 EST

Helge Hafting <helge.hafting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> [...]
> This isn't only about DRM protecting your distributed kernel.
> Lets say you want to make a linux-driven home entertainment
> device. And you add DRM - not to protect the kernel you don't
> really care about, but in order to use protected content in a
> restricted fashion. Perhaps your business also sell DVDs.

Yes, I was thinking about this situation, not talking about DRMing the
kernel.

I thought that this case wasn't already covered by the GPLv2, and was
one of the points addressed in the GPLv3.

> [...]
> The fact that DMCA law is a restriction imposed by
> government rather than the distributor makes no difference.
> The distributor implicitly imposes restrictions by linking in DRM sw, just
> as the distributor would implicitly impose some restrictions by
> linking a proprietary-licenced object into the kernel.

Umm, the interesting question here if what happens in countries that
haven't implemented the DMCA.

So it seems that this is kinda offtopic for l-k.

Thanks,

Emilio