Re: Linux 2.6.15.2

From: Holger Eitzenberger
Date: Sat Feb 04 2006 - 08:29:15 EST

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 11:14:14AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

> http://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg06355.html

> > A look into /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_mem showed that that the values in
> > there were way to high. I hope that a reduction of these values will
> > help (not done yet).

> Sounds different. Please test a more recent kernel and if the problem is
> still there, send a report to linux-kernel and cc netdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Include the contents of /proc/meminfo and /proc/slabinfo. Thanks.

I solved the issue.

Recent kernels have alloc_large_system_hash() exactly for that, and
tcp_init() uses it. It has nr_all_pages and nr_kernel_pages to
determine the actual size of usable RAM, whereas 2.6.10 just uses
num_physpages. That's the reason why the values in tcp_mem are way
too high on machines with 3-4 Gig RAM.

Thanks. /holger

--
ICQ 2882018 ++ Jabber: octavian@xxxxxxxxxxx ++