Re: OOM behavior in constrained memory situations

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Mon Feb 06 2006 - 17:09:52 EST

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Do we really want to kill the application? A more convetional response
> would be to return NULL from the page allocator and let that trickle back.

Ok. But ultimately that will lead to a application fault or the
termination of the application .

> The hugepage thing is special, because it's a pagefault, not a syscall.

The same can happen if a pagefault occurs in the application but the page
allocator cannot satisfy the allocation. At that point we need to
determine if the allocation was restricted. If so then we are not really
in an OOM situation and the app could be terminated.