Re: 2.6 vs 2.4, ssh terminal slowdown

From: Benjamin LaHaise
Date: Tue Feb 07 2006 - 22:05:19 EST

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 01:50:10PM +1100, Grant Coady wrote:
> Vague 'cos I do not know where the problem is. One might say slowdown
> is like a near a 1ms delay per line output, but slowdown does not
> correlate to kernel tick frequency. :(

Two things come to mind: can you try doing a vmstat 1 while running the
test and compare 2.4 vs 2.6? Also, does it make a difference if you switch
from the e100 driver to eepro100?

> I'll take a look at oprofile, report back if I can make sense of it ;)

If the CPU is pegged that will guide fixing things quite nicely, but the
fact that it's 1ms per line sounds like something more sinister.

-ben
--
"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm sorry to interrupt, but the police are here
and they've asked us to stop the party." Don't Email: <dont@xxxxxxxxx>.