Re: replacing X Window System !

From: Måns Rullgård
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 20:32:15 EST

"Döhr, Markus ICC-H" <Markus.Doehr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > First of all, your assumptions are incorrect. Modern versions of X
>> > are not old, unoptimised, will do remote sessions, etc.
>>
>> Remote sessions have been there as long as the DISPLAY
>> environment variable - I think even X10.4, 2 decades and more
>> ago, could do that. I know that it worked just fine 18 years
>> ago with X11R1 (aah... building that from source on a 25mz
>> Sun3 took a little while). (Anybody know when the first
>> instance of pointing 'xmelt' at another user's machine for
>> amusement was? :)
> [...]
>
> Although one has to admit that working with remote X terminals over
> a SSH/WAN/VPN-connection is far from usefull,

It depends on what programs you run. Emacs runs perfectly fine over a
slow modem. Firefox is usually very unhappy even on a fast LAN. In
general, applications that render an image locally and send that to
the X server for display will run badly over a remove connection.
Apps that send text and drawing commands to the server, and let it
take care of rendering run quite well.

> Microsoft´s RDP protocol does a much better job there. However,
> there´s NX (http://www.nomachine.com/) and other products but out of
> the box X11 it´s quite slow over higher latency connections.

RDP is more like VNC, AFAIK. It serves a different purpose.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@xxxxxxxxxxxxx