Re: Wiretapping Linux?

From: Joerg Pommnitz
Date: Wed May 17 2006 - 04:06:47 EST

Hello all,
while I agree with the points made in this discussion that it is harder to
get a backdoor into Linux I'm left wondering about the whole computing
system Linux is running on. Modern network card have enough computing
power to easily run wiretapping that you won't see in the driver code. If
you are concerned about wiretapping, then the large binary blobs of
firmware needed to run your peripherals should be of real concern.

The same is true for the BIOS. Even older CPUs come with a system mode
that exists outside the realm controlled by the OS.

Regards
Joerg