Re: replacing X Window System !

From: linux cbon
Date: Thu May 18 2006 - 18:02:26 EST

--- Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx a écrit :
> I think it adequately demonstrates that you're
> unable to distinguish
> between problems that *a specific implementation of
> X* has, and problems
> that *the X system as a design* has. If one
> particular X server has
> a misfeature, the correct fix is to fix the server
> software.

Didnt I already write about all this before ?
We should fix X.org (root, hardware access) problems.
But fixing only X.org is not enough.

X implementations problems :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System#Limitations_and_criticisms_of_X
http://www.std.org/~msm/common/protocol.pdf
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2006-03/0987.html
http://cbbrowne.com/info/xbloat.html

> So if you want to fix the *problem*, go learn enough
> about graphics to
> actually help design an open, non-evil chipset.
> That's the *real* problem,
> not whatever fantasized shortcomings of X itself
> you're trolling about.

One example : Tech Source company is trying to do an
open-source graphic cards.

I would be happy that Nvidia or ATI open their
drivers.

Regards