Re: Stealing ur megahurts (no, really)

From: David Lang
Date: Fri May 19 2006 - 13:56:25 EST

On Fri, 19 May 2006, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:

Skews and fuzz. Imperfections, but at least we get a general idea. ;)

Really? I bet there is a factor of 2 at least in that lot when you
put them together? (Depending on what you are running)

however, in most cases the difference between the native machine and the thing you are testing for is a factor >20, so a fuzz factor of 2 still gets you pretty close.

Remember the reason you are scrabbling around for this ancient machine
is to answer a question along the lines of 'is my program useable on a
.....' ?
Also you want to make sure you haven't made an assumption about an actual
feature (you left a cmov in somewhere? You assumed AGP? LBA block addressing
etc).

if you need this level of detail you need the actual hardware or a hardware emulator. however there's a lot of 'is the performance reasonable' type testing that needs to be done (and useually needs to be done repeatedly, either with different performance settings or with after fixing performance issues) before you have to go to this step.

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare